M'Porte Exchange Program
What is it? And why should I care?
- To-go food packaging waste is at an all-time high due to Covid-19, especially with San Diego moving back into the dreaded Purple Tier. And with that, will come added costs and to-go waste for restaurants.
- M’Porte is a grassroots organization based in San Diego that establishes reusable to-go container programs for restaurants to eliminate single-use food waste, saving restaurants money, and building a zero-waste to-go community. M’Porte is recognized as a Surfrider Ocean Friendly Vendor within the Ocean Friendly Restaurant program.
- Food waste packaging is the #2 most collected item on beach cleanups worldwide, second only to cigarette butts. Reusables have been deemed as “safe or safer than single-use items” by countless health professionals, and the MEP is in full compliance with the health department laws associated with reusable to-go containers including AB-619 in the state of CA.
How it works as a restaurant:
- Restaurant Membership to the MEP requires a minimum initial investment of just $200. Membership restaurants purchase a minimum of 10 M’Porte containers at the membership price of $20. Wholesale price breaks are available for higher volume orders.
- Member restaurants re-sell reusable to-go containers to eco-conscious restaurant patrons for $25 and keep $5 per container, netting a 20% return on their investment.
- Each restaurant collects used containers from their eco-conscious restaurant patrons when they arrive to pick up a new take out order.
- Restaurants clean and sanitize returned containers.
- The restaurants provide meals to eco-conscious restaurant patrons in pre-cleaned and sanitized containers.
- Offer 25 cent discount for to-go meals in an M’Porte container.
How it works as a restaurant customer:
- Eco-conscious restaurant patrons opt into the MEP by purchasing their initial container for $25
- Eco-conscious restaurant patrons can exchange their container for another one at any MEP restaurant. MEP restaurants will provide their eco-conscious restaurant patrons their next meal in a pre-cleaned and sanitized container.
Program benefits to restaurants:
- Provides zero-waste to-go, making both their customers and the planet happy.
- Establishes a new income stream and a new product line, all with less waste.
- No longer provides its customers with “compostable” containers that never reach a composting facility.
- Saves an average of 25 cents per meal by no longer providing their customers with single-use containers.
- Enters into a growing network of eco-conscious patrons that will continue to come back for zero-waste meals.
Program benefits to restaurant customers:
- For an investment of just $25, eco-conscious restaurant patrons no longer contribute to compromising our environment for the sake of their hunger.
- Eco-conscious restaurant patrons own a part of helping protect our environment by using products on a regular basis that reduce unnecessary waste.
- Discounted to-go food orders at MEP restaurants.
- Americana Restaurant
- Elixir Organic Juice & Food
- En Fuego Cantina & Grill
- GOODONYA Organic
- Viewpoint Brewing Co.
- 100% Leak-proof
- Food Grade Stainless Steel (18/8 Grade 304)
- Weighs < 1 lb
- 5 x 6.5 x 2.5 inches
- Removable divider
- Oven safe (remove silicone seal in lid)
- Dishwasher safe