DMVA & M'Porte Exchange Program
What is it? And why should I care?
- To-go food packaging is at an all-time high due to Covid-19, especially with San Diego going back to takeout only. The DMVA is reducing Del Mar’s unnecessary waste through piloting a Zero Waste Takeout program called the M'Porte Exchange Program (MEP) with the goal of getting Del Mar closer to becoming the first Surfrider “Ocean Friendly City”.
- M’Porte is a grassroots organization based in San Diego that establishes reusable to-go container programs for restaurants to eliminate single-use food waste, saving restaurants money, and building a zero-waste to-go community. M’Porte is recognized as a Surfrider Ocean Friendly Vendor within the Ocean Friendly Restaurant program.
- Food waste packaging is the #2 most collected item on beach cleanups worldwide, second only to cigarette butts. Reusables have been deemed as “safe or safer than single-use items” by countless health professionals, and the MEP is in full compliance with the health departments laws associated with reusable to-go containers including AB-619 in the state of CA.
How it works as a restaurant:
- Restaurant Membership to the MEP begins with M’Porte providing restaurant with 10 M’Porte containers on consignment.
- Member restaurants offer the reusable to-go container to their restaurant customers, and have them sign up via a QR code provided by M'Porte.
- The containers cost restaurant goers $25 each to purchase, and M'Porte sends 20% of the revenue generated back to the originating restaurant at the end of each month. M’Porte will provide additional containers to the restaurant as needed.
- Each restaurant collects used containers from their eco-conscious restaurant patrons when they arrive to pick up a new take out order.
- Restaurants clean and sanitize returned containers.
- The restaurants provide meals to eco-conscious restaurant patrons in pre-cleaned and sanitized containers.
- Offer 25 cent discount for to-go meals in an M’Porte container.
How it works as a restaurant customer:
- Eco-conscious restaurant patrons opt into the MEP by purchasing their initial container for $25 through the QR code
- Eco-conscious restaurant patrons can exchange their container for another container at any MEP restaurant. MEP restaurants will provide their eco-conscious restaurant patrons their next meal in a pre-cleaned and sanitized container.
Program Benefits to restaurants:
- Provides zero-waste to-go, making both their customers and the planet happy.
- Establishes a new income stream and a new product line, all with less waste, and zero risk on the restaurants part
- No longer provides its customers with “compostable” containers that never reach a composting facility.
- Saves an average of 25 cents per meal by no longer providing their customers with single-use containers.
- Enters into a growing community of eco-conscious patrons that will continue to come back for zero-waste meals.
Program Benefits to restaurant customers:
- For an investment of just $25, eco-conscious restaurant patrons no longer contribute to compromising our environment for the sake of their hunger.
- Eco-conscious restaurant patrons own a part of helping protect our environment by using products on a regular basis that reduce unnecessary waste.
- Discounted to-go food orders at MEP restaurants.
- GOODONYA Organic – Encinitas, CA
- Viewpoint Brewing Co. – Del Mar, CA
- En Fuego Cantina & Grill – Del Mar, CA
- Elixir – Del Mar, CA
- Americana Restaurant – Del Mar, CA
- Farm to Barn Café, Haleiwa, Oahu, HI